If you have previously applied to medical or dental school through HSAC and were not accepted, and wish to apply again, HSAC will submit your composite letter and individual letters once again, along with an addendum letter and updated/new letters or recommendation that highlight the steps that you have taken to become a more competitive applicant.
CONSIDERATIONS FOR REAPPLICANTS
Please review this page for reapplicants, which provides some guidance as you reflect on your health professional school candidacy.
REAPPLICANT UPDATED COMMITTEE LETTER ELIGIBILITY
In order for an updated committee letter to be written for a reapplicant (i.e., an applicant who has received a committee letter in a previous year but was unsuccessful in the health professions school application process), the following criteria must be met:
- The reapplicant should read through the Considerations for Reapplicants page.
- The reapplicant must have graduated no more than four years prior to expected professional school matriculation (e.g., class of 2019 for 2023 matriculation).
- The reapplicant must have significantly improved their candidacy since the unsuccessful application, as determined through consultation with HSAC.
- The reapplicant must secure at least one new letter of recommendation from someone with whom they have worked since the previous application, although some professional schools may require additional updated letters.
- The reapplicant must meet all paperwork deadlines:
- March 1st: Notify HSAC of intent to reapply; gain access to Moodle; complete Intent to Apply Form.
- April 1st: Deadline for HSAC submitting Preapplication Interview materials
- June 1st: Deadline for submitting to HSAC at least one new letter of recommendation from someone with whom you have worked since the previous application for inclusion in the Committee Letter.
- August 1st: Deadline for AMCAS submission (for MD applicants)
- The applicant must sign up for and participate in a preapplication interview.
- The applicant must send HSAC a copy of the submitted primary application(s) and CAS letter request form(s).
Once the letter is written, a packet of materials is sent to the applicant’s schools. The packet includes:
- Addendum to the original committee letter of recommendation, highlighting the steps the student has taken to become a more competitive applicant.
- One to two additional individual letters of recommendation.
- Original composite letter of recommendation.
- Original individual letters of recommendation.
The deadline for notifying our office of your application status is March 1, 2022 for 2023 matriculation — that is, you must have completed the Intent to Apply Form. If we do not hear from you by then, we can send your old committee packet and additional letters to your health professions schools, with a cover sheet that states that you did not meet the requirements to receive an addendum to your committee letter.
We look forward to helping you navigate the process of applying to and getting accepted to health professional school! We enjoy guiding you through this process and supporting your applications, and we hope that you will keep us informed of all developments and decisions throughout your application cycle.