First-Year Student Handouts
- Health Sciences at Kalamazoo College: Description of the Health Sciences curriculum and advice for new students.
- Curriculum Guide: Lists containing the Health Sciences core curriculum and recommended cognates for various health professions
- Medical Professions Admissions Guide: Strategy for Success—published by the National Association of Advisors for the Health Professions. Contributors include Dr. Sally Olexia, former K College Health Sciences Director. Order from NAAHP.
- Inter-Institutional Enrollment—if you need to take a course K College does not offer
- Volunteer Opportunities
- WMEDStart—An early admission program that does not require the MCAT. Apply as early as fall of your junior year. Certain restrictions apply.
- Trine University DPT—Trine University reserves two seats in each entering class for qualified Kalamazoo College students. Learn more about the Kalamazoo College qualifications on our Trine University DPT Preferred Partnership page.
Other Advising Resources
- Explore Health Careers—Discover the many different options for a career in the health professions.
- Global Ambassadors for Patient Safety—University of MN workshop on finding and evaluating international healthcare internships
- National Association of Advisors for the Health Professions (NAAHP)
- Pre-Med FAQs: From Duke University’s Health Sciences web site. Please note that some situations may not apply to Kalamazoo College students.
- Virtual Mentor: AMA site devoted to educating future physicians on medical ethics.
- Student Doctor Network
- Galen Press:
- Free Medical Journals (on-line)
- New Jour: Archive of thousands of on-line journals and newsletters for all disciplines.
- Liberation Medicine: “The conscious, conscientious use of health to promote human dignity and social justice.”
- AAAS Where to Search for Funding: current international funding opportunities for training in the biomedical sciences and undergraduate science education.
Resources Based on Type of Medicine
- Chaney, Charles A., MCAT Verbal Reasoning Mastery: The Complete Reading Comprehension Program.
- AAMC, The Official Guide to the MCAT Exam.
Post-Baccalaureate and Special Master’s Programs
- NIH IRTA: Intra-mural research training award. One-year biomedical research opportunity for recent college graduates intending to apply to graduate or professional school.
- What is Public Health?: Comprehensive resource for all things public health.
- Public Health Online: Excellent resource on programs and careers in public health.
- Association of Schools & Programs of Public Health (ASPPH)
- Epimonitor.net: On-line source of information about epidemiology.
Veterinary Medicine (DVM)
For a list of more resources of health professions please visit CBU’s Health Science and Pre-Health page.