Kalamazoo College’s Careers in Health and Medicine office assists and supports students as they explore health and medicine graduate and professional programs. Individuals interested in pursuing careers in these areas are encouraged to examine this website to determine the necessary prerequisites and application timeline as well as meet with the director to consider strengths and areas for opportunity, reflect on readiness to apply, and navigate the application process. The Careers in Health and Medicine office supports students and alumni until they are ready to apply to their chosen graduate and/or professional program.
During the year this office offers:
- Pre-health events and workshops that provide opportunities to help students explore health careers, learn about holistic development, hear tips on becoming a competitive applicant, and prepare for the application cycle.
- One-on-one advising sessions where students:
- are connected with the appropriate resources,
- can explore careers in healthcare,
- can determine the right courses to take, and
- discuss how to find meaningful academic and extracurricular activities.
- UCLA Pre-Medical Enrichment ProgramLooking to strengthening your ability and readiness to study medicine. Look no further!
- MSU’s College of Veterinary Medicine’s ESPThe College of Veterinary Medicine offers a free three week summer program focused on academic advancement and career knowledge for undergraduate students who intend to pursue a DVM for students from underrepresented backgrounds and Michigan residents. In summer 2022, the program will be hosted virtually during week 1 (June 6-10) and in person for weeks […]
- Choose DO Medical School Virtual ExpoVirtual DO Expo!
- SHPEP 2022 Application Open!A free six-week summer program focused on improving access to information and resources for college students interested in the health professions.
- Explore Careers in Physical TherapyNot sure what health careers interests you? Attend this session to learn more about Physical Therapy.
CAREERS IN HEALTH AND MEDICINE GOALS
ABOUT CAREERS IN HEALTH AND MEDICINE
VISION: To demonstrate the highest standards of service to students and alumni in holistic planning towards a career in health and medicine and encouraging self-reflection regarding competencies needed for professionals in these fields. The office aims to enhance collaborations with faculty, alumni, graduate and professional schools, as well as service and health related organizations to prepare future health and medicine professionals.
MISSION: To provide programs and guidance with the highest standards of service for Kalamazoo College students and alumni. The office provides a supportive environment where students and alumni are encouraged to thrive academically and recognize how their academics and co-curricular activities such as research, service and clinical interactions translate to careers in health and medicine.
The mission of the Careers in Health and Medicine office supports the overall values of Kalamazoo College. Particularly the components of the liberal arts education embodied in the K-Plan, which nurtures careers in health and medicine through an academically rigorous interdisciplinary curriculum encouraging scientific exploration, humanistic inquiry, and experiential opportunities.
WHO WE SERVE: The Careers in Health and Medicine office serves undergraduates and alumni of Kalamazoo College who are seeking careers in health and medicine. This office is a resource throughout a student’s undergraduate career, providing information about course selection, volunteer involvement, health related experiences as well as exploring growth year opportunities. Undergraduates and alumni who are pursuing careers in health and medicine have access to all of the services provided by this office, but those applying to professions other than medicine and dentistry (e.g., nursing, veterinary medicine, pharmacy, and public health) do not require a Health Sciences Advisory Committee Letter.